The below article will have its main focus on Chartered Accountancy’s entry level examination referred to as CPT which elongates to be Common Proficiency Test.
What is CPT Course ?
The Common Proficiency Test, as mentioned above, is the very first challenge an individual will be facing when he or she has finally decided to pursue the path of chartered accountancy.
The Common Proficiency Test (CPT) is a gateway to enter into the profession of Chartered Accountancy (CA). It is a national level entrance examination that is conducted twice a year in the pen and paper-based (Offline) mode.
The examination will be testing a user’s various skills which will include Accounting, Mercantile Laws, General Economics, Quantitative Aptitude to name a few with a primary objective to test the foundation and the base knowledge of the user.
The complete examination will be carried for 200 marks. It is completely an objective and multiple choice based examination. Candidates will be given the facility to opt for Hindi medium Question Paper Booklet for answering the questions.
How to Apply for CPT Test ( online )
- All the willing applicants are required to fill an application form in online mode to register themselves for CA CPT .
- This registration can be easily made online through the official portal of the ICAI organization. The exam fee will be required to be submitted online by using VISA or MASTER Credit / Debit Card / Rupay Card / Net Banking.
- Important websites for updates and registration:
- icai.org & icaiexam.icai.org)
What is Examination Fees for CPT Course ?
Fee of Rs. 1000/- (Rupees One Thousand only) for centers in India, US $ 300/- for Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai & Muscat centers and INR 1700/- (Rupees One Thousand Seven Hundred only) for Kathmandu center can be remitted using online payment gateway facility with VISA/Master/Maestro Credit/Debit Card. Late fee of INR 600/- (USD 10) is applicable on payments made on-line from 27th April, 2018. Bank charges applicable
What is Qualification for CPT Exam -Eligibility ?
Following are the eligibility criteria of CA CPT:
- Candidates must have cleared their 10th and 12th level qualifying examination from a recognized board of education or equivalent examination.
- Candidates must register with ICAI for CPC course to be eligible for appearing in CPT exam.
- The Candidates who have successfully completed bachelor or master’s degree in commerce with a minimum of 55% in aggregate are exempted from appearing in CA CPT, hence, are eligible for the next step on the ladder.
- Those candidates holding bachelor’s or master’s degree in a stream other than commerce must have obtained at least 60% in aggregate are also exempted from appearing in the entry level test.
Things to Look! or otherwise can get you in trouble:
- This examination has the potential for negative marking, that means, for each wrong answer. ¼ (One Fourth) mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Multiple darkened circles for a question will also be treated as wrong answer, so be precise.
- Any fraction of mark will be considered and rounded off to the next full mark.
- Use of calculators is allowed. Scientific calculators are prohibited.
What is CPT Exam Pattern 2019 ?
- The Common Proficiency Test in Paper-Pencil Mode (PP Mode) will be held in December 2019 in accordance with the existing scheme of education, training and exam of the Chartered Accountancy Course which is laid by the ICAI.
- The examination is a 4 hours duration test followed with 2 sessions of 2 hours each with an allowed break between two sessions. This test will comprise of all objective type questions with negative marking.
- In order to clear the CPT Examination, a candidate is required to secure, at one sitting, a minimum of 30 percent marks in each of the Sections separately and a minimum of 50 percent marks in the aggregate of all the Sections, with negative marking, being 1/4 Mark (one fourth) for each wrong answer to be kept in mind. It consists of the following four sections:
What are Exam Timings of CPT Course ? 10.30 AM to 12.30 PM
- Section-A Fundamentals of Accounting
- Section-B Mercantile Laws
- Second Session (Afternoon Session) 02.00 PM to 04.00 PM IST
- Section-C General Economics
- Section-D Quantitative Aptitude
- Weightage for each Section
- Section A – Fundamentals of Accounting – 60 Marks
- Section B – Mercantile Laws- 40 Marks
- Section C – General Economics – 50 Marks
- Section D – Quantitative Aptitude- 50 Marks
What is CPT Exam Syllabus?
The syllabus of CA CPT is released by ICAI. Candidates can go through the below syllabus for each of the four sections mentioned below to get a better understanding:
Sections of CA CPT
|Fundamentals of Accounting||· Theoretical Framework|
· Accounting Process
· Bank Reconciliation Statement
· Depreciation accounting
· Preparation of Final Accounts for Sole Proprietors
· Accounting for Special Transactions
· Partnership Accounts
· Introduction to Company Accounts
|Mercantile Laws||· The Indian Contract Act, 1872: An overview of Sections 1 to 75 covering the general nature of contract, consideration, other essential elements of a valid contract, performance of contract and breach of contract|
· The Sale of Goods Act, 1930: Formation of the contract of sale – Conditions and Warranties – Transfer of ownership and delivery of goods – Unpaid seller and his rights
· The Indian Partnership Act, 1932: General Nature of Partnership – Rights and duties of partners – Registration and dissolution of a firm
|General Economics||· Micro Economics|
· Introduction to Micro Economics
· Theory of Demand and Supply
· Theory of Production and Cost
· Price Determination in Different Markets
· Indian Economic Development
· Indian Economy – A Profile
· Select Aspects of Indian Economy
· Economic Reforms in India
· Money and Banking
|Quantitative Aptitude||· Ratio and proportion, Indices, Logarithms|
· Simple and Compound Interest including annuity – Applications
· Basic concepts of Permutations and Combinations
· Sequence and Series – Arithmetic and geometric progressions
· Sets, Functions and Relations
· Limits and Continuity â”€ Intuitive Approach
· Basic concepts of Differential and Integral Calculus
· Statistical description of data
· Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
· Correlation and Regression
· Theoretical Distributions
· Sampling Theory
· Index Numbers
What are reference books for CPT Course?
- Fundamentals of Accounting
- Tata McGraw Hill Fundamental of Accounting By PC Tulsian Bharat Tulsian Edition: 2016
- Padhuka – Basics of Accounting for CA CPT by G. Sekar & B Saravana Prasath Edition : 2017
- Shuchita Solved Scanner For CA CPT English by Amar Omar , Rasika Goneka for 2017 exam
- Mercantile Law
- Tata Mcgrawhill Mercantile Laws for CA CPT by P C Tulsian Edition 2017
- Bharat Mercantile Law By T Padma K P C Rao Edition 2016
- Padhuka MCQ Bank by G Sekar and B Sarvana Prasath Edition Sept 2016
- Taxmann CA CPT Mercantile Laws by V K Jain Edition : Mar 2017
- General Economics
- Padhuka – Basics of General Economics for CA CPT by G Sekar, B Saravana Prasath
- Bharat – General Economics By T Padma K P C Rao Edition 2017
- Taxmann – General Economics by P M Salwan & Pranjal B Deshpande Edition : March 2017
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Padhuka – Practical Guide on Quantitative Aptitude for CA CPT by G Sekar & B Saravana Prasath
- Bharat – Quantitative With MCQ By T Padma K P C Rao Edition 2016
- Quantitative Aptitude Mathematics With Short Tricks By CA Rajesh Jogani Edition 2017
If you want a Distinction , then:
- You must be securing at least 70% marks, then will be declared as “Pass with Distinction” and such marks will be indicated in the score card of CA CPT itself.
- Candidates must note that no separate pass certificate will be issued to the candidates.
Is a B.Com compulsory for CA CPT?
- No, it isn’t. I have discussed the eligibility for the same above. Moreover, any graduate can appear for the CPT fulfilling the above criteria.
- However, let’s face the truth: many people don’t clear CA final exams. Due to this, they are left with little else to do other than CA. In that situation, you may need to study for some other degree. For that, you will need a graduation.
- You don’t want to regret later that you did not study for a graduate degree and now also could not clear CA exams. Don’t be too confident about the CA qualification.
- In short: Go for some graduate degree, it’s for your own good, it acts as a backup.
CA CPT vs CA Foundation, an update:
Main difference between old CPT scheme and new CA Foundation scheme :—
Old Scheme : It’s for 200 Marks Full Objective type Question.
- Fundamentals of Accounting (60 Marks)
- Mercantile law (40 Marks)
- General Economics(50 Marks)
- Quantitative Aptitude (50 Marks)
New Scheme : It’s both Subjective and Objective for 400 marks
- Principles and Practices of Accounting ( Subjective — 100 Marks)
- Mercantile Law (60 Marks = ICA + SOGA + PA = 45 Marks + LLP + Companies Act = 15 Marks) and General English (40 Marks). (Subjective —100 Marks)
- Business Economics (60 Marks) and Business and Commercial Knowledge (40 Marks). (Objective — 100 Marks)
- Business Mathematics (40 Marks), Logical Reasoning (20 Marks) and Business Statistics (40 Marks). (Objective — 100 Marks)
Is CPT Exam Tough ?:
This is definitely not to demotivate but to give you an idea that what you are enrolling in is really tough. This can be better understood if you have a look at the previous year stats of only 37% passing rate.
But with enough practice and time management for all the sections, you should be able to get through it. The journey is long and hard, but if you have the dedication, you can sail through the tough exams and strenuous articleship, and on towards a bright future. So remember, it is hard, but achievable.
How many attempts are legal to take for the CPT Exam?
- ICAI allows 6 attempts to clear the CPT exam (initial registration is valid for three years, after which you can re-validate it for three more years);
- 8 attempts to clear the IPCC exam (initial registration is valid for four years, after which you can re-validate it for four more years);
- 10 attempts to clear the CA Finals (initial registration is valid for five years, after which you can re-validate it for five more years).
- Each year, you can attempt the CPT, IPCC or CA Final exam twice. CPT exams are conducted in June and December, while IPCC and Finals are conducted in May and November.
Quick Tips to clear CPT Examination
- The textbooks and model papers you get from the ICAI are more than enough for your preparation. These save your precious time.
- In Accounting, practice is as important as theory as it is analytical. If you know your basics well, you should be able to get through it easily. It’s is the main and a scoring subject.
- Mercentile Law is very scoring after Accounts. Try to absorb the concept as questions in the exam are not asked directly from the book. You might want to focus on the Contract Act here.
- Economics is generally considered easier than other subjects. Try to complete the Macro Economics first, as it is more scoring. Microeconomics can prove to be easy for you if you have studied Economics in Class 12. Just practice your graphs well.
- Not everybody is good at Quantitative Aptitude. When it comes to Mathematics, remember some topics are easier than other. Try to complete them first. This might help. Most questions are from Class 10 level. If you are not good at Maths, you may skip over more complex topics.
- With that said, hope you found the article informative and clears the doubts in young minds.
- Computer Accounting Courses in Delhi
- Taxation Course
- SAP Fico Course
- Payroll Course
- Advance Excel Course
- Tally Training
- Computer Course
- Distance Learning Course
- Courses after b com graduation
- Diploma Courses after 12th commerce